Old August 3rd 10, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

And of course there's the nightmare of courier firms trying to
deliver to those sorts of addresses. I don't know if it's the case
in Cambridge but a lot of universities have a tendency to use a
single postcode for the entire campus. This is fine for Royal Mail
who either deliver to a central mail room or who get used to
looking at the building information (for example I've recently
discovered that in my Kent days I was using the wrong post code for
my college/halls, instead giving out the postcode for the central
registry) but it can be a real nightmare for a courier firm with
limited experience of the destination and who find the address
supplied does not contain sufficient information. My current QMUL
department gives out an address that's fine for mail but it would
be incomprehensible to anyone trying to deliver a package,
especially at this time of year when a lot of people actually on
the campus are from conferences et al and won't know which building
a particular department office is in, let alone how to find it.
(And the Royal Mail's online post code finder is useless for trying
to divine a more specific code.)

I must admit courier deliveries were pretty well unknown in my student
days. I suspect they would only work to the porters' lodge nowadays.

--
Colin Rosenstiel