Old August 4th 10, 10:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

"Capt. Deltic" wrote in message

This is the question I have been asking.

the official argument for separate fleets is that Crossrail needs to
have 23 m long cars with three doors a side because of the capacity
requirements/ station dwell times while Thameslink can accomodate only
20 m long cars with two doors a side because of curvature. - despite
similar capacity/dwell time issues.

Is that [23 m?] a decision made subsequent to the info found (with great
difficulty) on the Crossrail website then Roger?

I'm sure they refer to a 200 m train comprised of 2 x 5 car units, because
they went on to explain that the central area station tunnels would be bored
out long enough to extend to 2 x 6 car units of 240 m...

Don't see why they can't be the same traction design though - even if length
and doors differ. I mean, the 444 and 450 are are exactly the same
technology under the bodywork...

Paul S