Old August 4th 10, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:44:19 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2010\08\04 09:59, Bruce wrote:

The postcode system works beautifully with navigation and mapping.
Perhaps you don't use these things.

No, the OS grid reference system works beautifully with navigation and
mapping, as does the lat long system. The postcode system only works in
these applications via a stonking great lookup table, whose ugliness the
computer hides from you.

If I can't see it, who cares? It really isn't important.

What *is* important is that the system works extremely well.

Some implementations are even better - my Garmin SatNav tells me which
side of the road my destination address is on, and is uncannily
accurate. My TomTom SatNav doesn't have that particular feature, but
it is still extremely good - stonking great lookup tables or no.