Old August 4th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

"D7666" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 6:34 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

, Crossrail were originally
proposing running two 5 x 20m units

Were they not 5 x 23 m ?

I thought that was the difference between Crossrail and TL - 10 car x
23 m and 12 car x 20 m.

The Crossrail Environmental Statement Vol 1 Ch 2, which was what I was
looking for before my earlier reply to Roger, has this to say:

"Rolling Stock Specification and Performance
2.4.12 The trains used for Crossrail will be 200 m long, formed from 10 cars
of 20 m in length.
The trains will be made up of two five-car units and will have a top speed
of 160 km/h.
The trains will draw power from overhead line systems. Their performance
will be
compatible with the project's requirement to operate 24 trains per hour
(tph) through the
central London stations.
2.4.13 The layout of each carriage will be designed to assist rapid boarding
and alighting in
the central area in order to minimise dwell times. Each carriage will have
at least two
sets of double doorways per side with wide set-backs and a combination of
four
abreast (as two plus two) and inward-facing seating. The trains will be
air-conditioned.
2.4.14 The Crossrail peak service pattern requires 58 trains of 10 cars each
formed from
116 five-car units..."

That's why I was asking Roger if the original spec had been changed, even if
not publicised.

Paul S