Old August 4th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:19:22 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Fair point. But I'm sure they could build some sort of compromise stock
that could use the full UIC height and also width above platform level
that would still be within UK gauge below platform level.

UIC height isn't all that much higher than UK height. The reason you
can do UIC double-deckers and not UK ones has more to do with the
width at platform level that allows for a reasonably wide lower deck.
Stick with UK width and cramped 2+1 is the best you'll manage, which
as double-deckers tend to do well if they manage 1.5 times the
capacity of a standard single-decker coach isn't going to necessarily
add any seats.

Realistically, Crossrail will need "standee trains", perhaps the same
layout as the S stock for LUL.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.