Old August 4th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:11:33 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

Most of the internal headroom in current UK stock isn't used anyway except
by exceptionally tall people. By reducing the ceiling height and with an extra
foot of height to play with couldn't an extra floor be squeezed in?

The issue is far less one of height, but one of width below platform
level. If you have to give probably 20% at least of the length of
your vehicle over to doors, underfloor equipment and the bogies (more
if you have to go for a short vehicle as is usual in the UK) you just
won't get any more capacity than you would in a standard dual-door
with 3+2 seating. And much as I hate 3+2 seating, it would be more
comfortable than the vehicle you describe.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.