Old August 5th 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme[_2_] Graeme[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

In message
d wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:10:02 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:19:22 +0000 (UTC),

Fair point. But I'm sure they could build some sort of compromise stock
that could use the full UIC height and also width above platform level
that would still be within UK gauge below platform level.

UIC height isn't all that much higher than UK height. The reason you
can do UIC double-deckers and not UK ones has more to do with the
width at platform level that allows for a reasonably wide lower deck.

Perhaps there could be a compromise type platform as used at St P. That
would allow double deck UIC shuttle trains in the centre section but also
allow UK gauge trains to use it too. After all, we're only talking a few
inches width required either side which is hardly going to create a huge
gap to step across.

Of course it rather begs the question of why the victorians chose such a
daft setup in the first place but I guess we'll never know.

It wasn't daft when they set it up. Remember they were the first, there
were no rules or precedents for them to follow.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/