Old August 5th 10, 12:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Crossrail rolling stock PIN

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 05:08:57 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be bob
wrote this:-

The Victorians chose to have platforms, while the European railways
(and those in most other parts of the world) chose not to have
platforms,

The Liverpool and Manchester Railway had very low platforms
according to the drawings and paintings. Probably no higher than the
typical low platform traditionally seen in mainland Europe, though
these are slowly being raised.

That railway wasn't unique, there are still a few station buildings
around which were built for that sort of height of platform and
which have ramps up to the later height platforms.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54