Old August 5th 10, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Stratford platform 3a

wrote in message
On 5 Aug, 12:38, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

I presume the DLR station, being in a separate building, will have its
own numbers/letters (probably the latter?).- Hide quoted text -

Separate building? Couldn't they have built the main station to take
the DLR as well?

The decision to run the DLR beyond Stratford had probably not been made when
the International station was being designed? The latter was finished about
3 years ago, when they had only just got round to the NLL closure for update
to DLR, and the DLR track's general approach was constrained by being where
the old low level NLL had been.

AIUI an approach on the surface on the north side of the HS1 station box was
the only sensible option, as there are buildings on the south side, and
therefore the DLR also had to rise to the surface before crossing HS1

I'm not so sure about running the DLR into the same building either - as
most of it sits over the station box, and it has pedestrian access at both
ends? Also - is the DLR's primary role to feed the international station,
or the housing development to the north, ie the Olympic Village in legacy
mode?

Paul S