Old August 7th 10, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In message , at
19:52:49 on Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
The example I usually give is the villages between Cambridge and the
Hertfordshire border (at Royston). It's of very little use if when you
search an estate agent's website for houses to buy,

Guess what often happens if you are in south London and look online for
things in "Croydon"?

It may suggest other Croydons, I expect.

Like the one near Royston, that's got a Hertfordshire address but is
geographically about five miles inside Cambridgshire.

I don't have a map with the postcode boundaries on, but the furthest
"inside Cambs with Herts address" I can find is Wimpole Hall, which
almost six miles as the crow flies inside the county border (and is only
eight miles from the centre of Cambridge City).