Old August 7th 10, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Smyth Peter Smyth is offline

Default [OT] Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
newsWh7o.113034$Ds3.96847@hurricane...
On 07/08/10 18:45, Roland Perry wrote:
The county has been optional for a long time.

Ok, Wikipedia tells me the county has been optional since 1996. I was
sure the change was more recent than that, but apparently not.

I'm still curious as to in which places the county wasn't
traditionally written, even prior to 1996. I'm guessing Nottingham
would be another example since "Nottingham, Notts." would be somewhat
odd, as you say.

It is the post towns with (N) after them in this list

http://abcounties.co.uk/bpa/bpasection3.htm

Generally seems to be towns with the same name as the county, plus other
towns deemed large and famous enough to not need a county.

Peter Smyth