Old August 7th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

On Aug 7, 9:41*pm, Roy Badami wrote:

On 07/08/10 20:59, Mizter T wrote:

I like how that page dutifully lists all the London postcodes and the
olde counties that they're in - though I'm sure that many postcodes
straddle the old boundaries so presumably it's what the county the
majority of the postcode sits in that the author has used.

Postal counties are a bit arbitrary anyway, and don't entirely conform
to the real world.

Sure - if we're going by postal counties, then the list on the ABC
website is a nonsense I think - all London postcodes (NW, N, E, W, SW,
SW, WC, EC) are in the post town of "London", and I don't think the
post town of London belongs to any postal county, let alone multiple
postal counties (so "NW4 xxx, Middlesex" for an address in Hendon was
never strictly speaking a correct address).

I grew up in "Rochdale, Lancs." even though Rochdale hadn't been in
Lancashire since the creation of Greater Manchester.

And I grew up in London, though someone will be along to say that
unless I grew up within the boundaries of the City, I didn't... ;-)