Old August 7th 10, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

wrote on 07 August 2010 23:16:48 ...
In articlewQj7o.58103$X%4.19734@hurricane,
(Roy
Badami) wrote:

On 07/08/10 21:57, Mizter T wrote:

Sure - if we're going by postal counties, then the list on the ABC
website is a nonsense I think - all London postcodes (NW, N, E, W, SW,
SW, WC, EC) are in the post town of "London", and I don't think the
post town of London belongs to any postal county, let alone multiple
postal counties (so "NW4 xxx, Middlesex" for an address in Hendon was
never strictly speaking a correct address).

Yes, the site does actually say: "County names have never been a
part of recommended postal addresses within the "LONDON" postal
area. In fact, the "LONDON" postal area presents something of a
challenge to those who seek to use County names within it."

http://abcounties.co.uk/bpa/bpasection2.htm

To amplify my earlier comment on why their London data is utter oblox, the
use of counties in London is obsolete but they overlook completely that
each London postal district also has a name.

There is a name associated with each one* that explains its place in the
numerical order (because the numbers are based on alphabetical order of
the associated names), but I wouldn't go so far as to say that each
postcode *has* a name.

It would cause confusion for an address in Leadenhal Street EC3 to give
also the associated name for EC3 which is Fenchurch Street. Is the E16
area still known as Victoria Docks, which is its associated name?

* Except the "1" Head Districts (W1, SE1 etc.) also W2, SW11.
--
Richard J.