Old August 8th 10, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 8, 1:08*am, wrote:

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 07 August 2010 23:16:48

To amplify my earlier comment on why their London data is utter
oblox, the use of counties in London is obsolete but they overlook
completely that each London postal district also has a name.

There is a name associated with each one* that explains its place
in the numerical order (because the numbers are based on
alphabetical order of the associated names), but I wouldn't go so
far as to say that each postcode *has* a name.

It would cause confusion for an address in Leadenhal Street EC3 to
give also the associated name for EC3 which is Fenchurch Street. *
Is the E16 area still known as Victoria Docks, which is its
associated name?

* Except the "1" Head Districts (W1, SE1 etc.) also W2, SW11.

Possibly not in that example but it's been common all my life in SW15,
Putney, and SW19, Wimbledon, to my knowledge.

Yes, but SW15 also includes Roehampton, and on the eastern edge it
gets pretty close to Wandsworth, plus there's that bit of Kingston
Vale (perhaps it's all of Kingston Vale, dunno where the lines are
drawn round there) down past Robin Hood roundabout.

SW19 meanwhile encompasses, in addition to Wimbledon, also takes in
Colliers Wood (or at least significant chunk thereof), Merton Park,
Summerstown (lesser known 'tis true), stretches to the edge of Morden,
and lastly such as they are distinct places, South Wimbledon and
Wimbledon Park.

So it ain't all quite that simple.

They are all areas known as part of or appended to Putney or Wimbledon.
The only exception, it seems to me, is some confusion over precise
boundaries.

But then Putney is no better defined since the nineteenth century than as
the Putney constituency. When I was a lad that included Wandsworth Town
Hall!

--
Colin Rosenstiel