Old August 8th 10, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 7, 11:56*pm, "Richard J." wrote:

wrote on 07 August 2010 22:50:20 ...

In articleFAj7o.78929$RO5.57792@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

On 07/08/10 20:35, Peter Smyth wrote:

It is the post towns with (N) after them in this list

http://abcounties.co.uk/bpa/bpasection3.htm

Generally seems to be towns with the same name as the county, plus
other towns deemed large and famous enough to not need a county.

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for!

Except that it's total oblox in the London postal districts. I was
brought up in Putney and no-one but no-one has referred to that as
being in Surrey for over 150 years.

Nevertheless the list is correct in that (a) Surrey is the traditional
county name for Putney, (b) you don't need to put it in the address in
addition to "London", and (c) Royal Mail won't mind if you do include
it, though it sounds as if that's about to change.

No, I don't think Royal Mail is about to start caring about any extras
they don't need, so long as the important bits are in there - this
story is more about information being dropped from their databases.

Look at it another way. How much mail sent to SW15 addresses also mentions
Putney? Quite a lot, I think you'll find. OTOH (to bring this thread back
on topic) the number mentioning Surrey is vanishingly small.

--
Colin Rosenstiel