Old August 8th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Postal counties to be dropped from the Postcode Address File

In message Xrl7o.19723$Ai7.18779@hurricane, Richard J.
writes

There is a name associated with each one* that explains its place in
the numerical order (because the numbers are based on alphabetical
order of the associated names), but I wouldn't go so far as to say that
each postcode *has* a name.

It would cause confusion for an address in Leadenhal Street EC3 to give
also the associated name for EC3 which is Fenchurch Street. Is the E16
area still known as Victoria Docks, which is its associated name?

According to mail I receive from certain parties, yes I live in Victoria
Docks!