Old August 8th 10, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Scott Scott is offline

Default Another Oyster Rip-off

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:11:42 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Oyster Card top-up users double charged

TfL is advising people to check their bank accounts after topping up
Some passengers have been double charged when topping up their Oyster
Cards, BBC London has learnt.

A Freedom of Information request shows Transport for London (TfL) has
refunded £40,000 this year to customers who have been over-charged by
faulty machines.

The information also shows there have been 2,421 complaints in 2010
about being double charged when adding credit to the electronic travel
smartcard.

TfL is advising people to check their bank accounts after topping up.

'Monitor continuously'

TfL explained that it could not be aware of any over-charging until
the issue was reported by a passenger.

The Freedom of Information requested information shows the machines at
London Bridge, Victoria, Liverpool Street and King Cross stations led
to the highest number of complaints.

Shashi Verna, from TfL, said: "We monitor the system continuously to
make sure the problems are not becoming bigger, and there is no
evidence they are becoming bigger.

"But we constantly check the screens on ticket machines and how the
ticket machines are set up to minimise these problems."

I'm not sure 'rip-off' is the correct term as a rip-off implies intent
to over-charge and I am sure TfL has no such intent. This sounds like
a technical problem in a system that offers huge benefits to the
travelling public, which I am sure TfL are working to resolve.