Old August 8th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On 08/08/2010 21:58, wrote:
On Aug 8, 5:22 pm, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
wrote
On Aug 7, 2:00 pm, wrote:

We see a lot of Scottish money, here in the Lakes,
but I'm fairly sure it isn't legal tender Clive

Legal tender is what you can't refuse to take if you
are offered it by someone who owes you money.
That means that cheques, credit cards and debit
cards are not legal tender - you have the option
to take them if you choose.
So when anybody refuses to accept a Scottish note,
it is solely because of their own choice. The "I can't
take it because it is not legal tender" routine is nonsense.

Nope, it's shorthand "when I try to use it, someone else may refuse to
accept it as they are entitled to do".
Money that may not be accepted is a genuine inconvenience - I recall
solving the problem for Guernsey notes and coin by paying it over
NatWest's bank counter for the credit of my UK bank account the day my
holiday ended and drawing Bank of England notes from the appropriate
cash machine at the same time. Mike D

Anybody is certainly fully entitled to refuse Scottish, Northern
Irish,
Manx or Channel Islands notes, as are they entitled to refuse
payment by cheque, Debit Card or Credit Card, as all of them
are equally not legal tender. For the same reason Bank of
England notes could be refused for payments made outside
England and Wales. What would be more honest would be
to say that they are refusing payment of a type with which
they are not familiar, or not trained to accept.

I think that, technically, they should not have a problem accepting
Scottish and Northern Irish notes as they are all in the United Kingdom.
But they are not under obligation to accept notes and coins from the
Channel Island or from the Isle of Man as they are not part of the
United Kingdom.