Old August 9th 10, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Another Oyster Rip-off

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Aug 9, 10:33 am, Chris Tolley (ukonline
really) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 14:11:42 on Sun, 8 Aug 2010, CJB
remarked:

TfL explained that it could not be aware of any over-charging until
the issue was reported by a passenger.

Apart, of course, from looking for cards where there were two top-up
[bank charges] on the same day.

Yes - some passengers will do that, but that doesn't actually
matter. What you are looking for is top-ups where there were two
debits but only one amount of credit added.

Not holding an Oyster card, I wouldn't know, but in many cases the
financial part of e-transactions is handled separately for security
reasons. If that is the case here, then how would TfL know in detail
about the debits?

If by 'e-transactions' you are talking about an e-commerce (i.e.
online purchase) situation, then that wouldn't apply here as this
concerns people topping up their Oyster cards in person at self-
service ticket machines at LU stations.

But using chip and pin bank cards to do so. It's also not clear if it
only happens with debit cards, or credit cards as well. And I don't
quite understand whether the problem is at certain machines, or all
machines at certain stations.

But it does seem slightly suspicious that it seems mainly to happen at
large Tube+mainline stations with OSI time-out potential...