Old August 9th 10, 08:38 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
GazK GazK is offline

Default day out in london - suggestions

On 30 July, 21:08, 1506 wrote:
On Jul 30, 12:41 wrote:

I have a day out in London and surrounding environs lined up in the
next couple of weeks. I would like to spend the day exploring the
quirky, out of the way or interesting railways in greater London. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Well that is a subjective question; one man’s eclectic is another's
every day sight.

For me the North London Line is always interesting. *It passes thru
varied territory, passing numerous other lines. *Now that is has
undergone a rebuild, I think it would be especially worth exploring.
I always think the Camden Town, Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill area is fun
to explore on foot. *There is the hill itself which gives a god view
over London. *There are some good pubs in the area that are useful for
refreshment breaks.

The new ELL has to be worth a look, even if you only explore it in
part. *Also, I always found the extremities of some of the tube lines
to be interesting. *The Northern Line serves some old Great Northern
stations. *In my day they were well preserved, more so than their BR/
National Rail cousins. *I don't know if that is still the case. *The
ends of the Central Line are/were picturesquely rustic. *The Western
end runs next to the little used GW line to Northolt and onwards.

This is a thread, which I am sure, will draw variety of opinions.

Phew - a lot of posts while I was away! Loads of good suggestions
there, I think NLL, ELL, Braking - Gospel Oak and at least one LUL
branch are on the cards.