Old August 10th 10, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On Aug 11, 12:02*am, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Alternatively we could solve the banknote issue by joining the Euro,
though comes with the unfortunate side-effect of having to send large
amounts of money to Greece...

The SNP have been lobbying since the 1990s for Scottish banks to still have
the right to issue their own notes under the Euro. It's a demand that will
probably be accepted if it made it more likely to win a referendum.

I assume you mean a referendum on the Euro?

Every single Euro country would have to agree to such a thing - I find
it very hard to imagine that would ever happen, however much they
might value having the UK inside the Euro (it would be the thin end of
the wedge) - and I find it a bit hard to imagine that the UK
government would go out on a limb to try and demand that of the rest
of Europe.

But I now realise that's not what the demand would entail - instead it
would involve there being Scottish Euro notes that were only accepted
within Scotland (or maybe the UK). Yes, that's seems a bit more
possible - though I still think other Euro governments could be
somewhat hostile to such a proposal, for example the Spaniards might
be wary of demands coming from the Catalans and the Basques etc etc.
That said, the Scots (and NI) banks have precedent on their side.