Old August 11th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

On 11/08/2010 14:49, Mike Bristow wrote:
In ,
d wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:24:13 +0100
wrote:
When I take foreign notes into my bank (Barclay's) for refund in pounds,
they take the precaution of checking them against pictures of currency
in a big book. Could you expect a barmaid in Bristol to do this it she
has never seen a note like it before?

Exactly how many pubs check for the validity of english bank notes?

English bar staff are likely to be reasonably familiar with English
banknotes, seeing as they fondle fairly large quantities of them
every day.

The same is not true of Scottish notes.

What if she were threatened with
the sack for accepting anything she didn't know to be legal?

If the pub didn't provide her with a method of checking them then she could
take them to court for unfair dismissal.

Not if the pub's policy was "no Scottish banknotes please - we're English".

Many London pubs in years past did not accept Northern Irish notes, and
would have a sign stating just that. I guess that this was because of
the bank heist a few years back but, AIUI, many retailers in England are
still reluctant to accept them.

I wonder what would happen if somebody tried to pay for a pint with a
Scottish one-pound note.