Old August 12th 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Does London Underground accept Euros anywhere?

Mizter T wrote:

Indeed. I try and avoid using phrases I don't properly understand, but
'legal tender' is one where I was aware of the complexities thereof
and so avoid using for that reason.

(I think sometimes it gets all confuddled with the Coinage Act 1971
rules which define legal tender vis-a-vis making payments with coins -
e.g. 20p and 50p coins can make a payment of up to £10 - but again,
when you're paying off your credit card bill or overdraft with bags of
coins the bank is only concerned about getting the money, though the
cashier might be a bit miffed about the queue forming behind you! [1])

[1] That said, yes I know banks do have rules about how much coinage
they handle, but they're not going to start repossessing your home if
you can pay what's required, even if that is £50 in 50p's.

Banks can process it, but don't like it. However other service providers
would be rather more miffed if they were handed buckets of change to
extinguish the debt. I would not be amused if I walked or took public
transport to a job and then at the end was given (say) £100 in tiny change
as I would have to count it all myself to check it was the exact amount and
then have a huge weight to haul about until I could pay it into a bank (and
I think even HSBC's coin machines would get overloaded by it).