Old August 12th 10, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default LU A stock over NR routes

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:14:11 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2010\08\12 16:13, d wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
Andy wrote:
On 12 Aug, 14:04, wrote:
Now that the S stock trains are slowly going to be introduced into servic=
e how
will the A stock go to scrap? Its apparently 10cm wider than the maximum
network rail loading gauge (according to an article I read in Rail today)=
so
will they be able to move it by rail over some specially cleared routes o=
will it have to go by road?

Ah, but, in kinematic envelope terms the vehicles are relatively short
(16m according to wackyp=E6dia) so the throw on curves would not be as
substantial as an equiv. 20m carriage.

That also depends on the position of the main pin on the bogie and the
corresponding pivot point on the carriage rather than just the vehicle
length. IIRC modern carriages (Mk3 etc.) are in any case tapered to
compensate for their length and thus have a smaller swept path on the
_outside_ of a smallest radius curve than A stock.

I always thought 2.85 (ish) was the absolute maximum width no matter what
the length of the carraiges. Is this not the case?

You don't mind denting them so much on the way out.