Old August 12th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default LU A stock over NR routes

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 06:28:48 -0700 (PDT), RPM
wrote:

The S stock is being delivered to Neasden, by rail via Aylesbury &
Princes Risborough.

The A stock was certainly moved by rail when it was refurbished so
there must be some routes cleared for it.

IIRC it got as far as Rosyth.

The A stock was refurbished at Derby in the early 1990s. Eight-car sets were
moved (generally Class 37 hauled) from Neasden to Aylesbury, run round, then
via Wycombe and the Greenford loop to Didcot and forward via Oxford,
refurbished sets returning via the same route. I don't think that any trains
went via Bicester due to capacity issues on the (then) single line and
crewing issues. The move from Neasden usually started on Saturdays,
mid-morning. Somewhere I've got some pictures of unrefurbished A stock
sitting in platform 2 at Aylesbury.

Unfortunately the S stock deliveries are not so easily photographable,
occurring late at night, arriving at Neasden at around 01:00 on Friday
mornings (so far - assuming that the diagram doesn't change when deliveries
pick up).