Old August 15th 10, 01:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Cross London tickets on the underground

On Aug 15, 12:21*am, wrote:

(Mizter T) wrote:

On Aug 14, 6:03*pm, Tony Walsall wrote:
Does anyone know, will a cross London valid ticket open any Zone1
gate?

I believe that a rail ticket with cross-London validity included (i.e.
marked with the Maltese cross symbol) will only open gates at
Underground/DLR stations that are in the cross-London station list,
which is shown half-way down this page:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...ng_london.html

However it won't open any Zone 1 gate - though if you're in the system
and want to get out, then I understand you'll be let out without any
problems (in zone 1 at least), though the same ticket can't be used to
get back into the Underground system (i.e. there's no Break of Journey
allowed for the cross-London Underground leg of the journey).

The wording on the TfL web page is new to me:

"You can ‘break your transfer journey' and leave the Underground at any
intermediate station, e.g. if you travelling between Victoria and Euston
you can exit at Oxford Circus. However, if you subsequently wish to
continue your journey by Underground you will have to purchase another
ticket."

I've been refused exit at Goodge Street in the past (over 10 years ago) to
break a tube journey back to King's Cross and had to re-enter the tube and
exit at Euston instead. Is this a relatively recent change?

I dunno - I do however recall recent-ish a discussion on this topic on
I think the District Dave forum in which a member of LU station staff
said that regardless of what the rules actually were - IIRC there
seemed to be of disagreement over them - in practice, someone with a
Maltese-cross-London ticket (if I may call it that) who wanted to exit
could do so, and no-one really seemed to demur of this opinion (though
this is obviously in contrast to your experience, but perhaps that
does reflect a rule change).

Given the somewhat arcane possibilities for cross-London journeys
presented by that station list, what with the 'out there' stations it
contains (e.g. Upminster, Amersham, Woolwich Arsenal), I don't think
I'd be mad keen to try this 'bail out early' idea in places that are a
bit distant from central London (as I can imagine staff being
unfamiliar with cross-London tickets and generally being a bit sus of
someone trying to misuse such a ticket), hence my comment about
perhaps only relying on it when in zone 1.

One last thing - the wording above is that given by 'National Rail'
aka ATOC - and it's perhaps not entirely impossible that this might
not fully reflect the reality of the contract ATOC has with LUL for
provision of this cross-London interchange facility...