Old August 17th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default LU A stock over NR routes

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
Andy wrote:
It's not daft to build a train to fit the more modern infrastructure
on the Victoria line, the 2009 stock would never be able to run on any

The reason AFAIK that the victoria line tunnels were built larger was to reduce
air resistence and make the trains more efficient. Presumably at least part
of those savings have now been lost due to the bigger trains.

other tube line in passenger service, as they are too long (they're
even longer than the '92 stock on the Central). As I said, rail
haulage for delivery via the Piccadilly line would always have been
unlikely due to the lack of capacity for delivery runs, if this wasn't
the case, we might have seen the '67 stock being taken away via this
route, but that is leaving by road. I also don't know if the 2009
stock can be fitted with the necessary tripcocks for running over
conventionally signaled lines, the '67 stock can be.

Those arn't showstoppers though. If there ever was cascading they could
reform them into 6 or 7 car trains and I'm sure tripcocks could be fitted
somehow though I suspect by the time the 2009 stock is getting on a bit
tripcocks will be a distant memory anyway.

Theres notalot you can do about a train thats too big to fit in a tunnel
however.

Of course, without the extra width available, the thick walls and door
pillars would have impinged even more into the passenger space and
there may be a good reason for this bit of the design.

Well if there is its certainly eluded me.

B2003