Old August 18th 10, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Minimum Oyster top-up at LU ticket offices

In message , at 18:25:05
on Tue, 17 Aug 2010, remarked:
I had a puncture on my bike today that I couldn't fix till I got home so
had to use the District and Circle lines (only) to get from Putney to work
and from work to King' Cross.

Although East Putney ticket office was happy to top me up £1.80 for the
first journey, King's Cross (Western ticket hall) was utterly jobsworth
about the £5 minimum, even though I wanted the £1.80 top up to get a
receipt for the right amount. Are they all that inflexible in zone 1?

The idea behind Oyster is that there's an economy of scale in not having
to manually sell you something (eg a ticket) every trip. You are
circumventing this with your one-trip topups, which are a bit
anti-social.