Old August 22nd 10, 12:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Josie Josie is offline

Default Cross London tickets on the underground

On 22/08/2010 13:21, Andy wrote:
On Aug 22, 1:21 am, wrote:
On 14/08/2010 18:28, Mizter T wrote:

However it won't open any Zone 1 gate - though if you're in the system
and want to get out, then I understand you'll be let out without any
problems (in zone 1 at least), though the same ticket can't be used to
get back into the Underground system (i.e. there's no Break of Journey
allowed for the cross-London Underground leg of the journey).

This is what I thought, but the chap on the gateline at Russell Square
tried to refuse me exit on a Manchester-Guildford ticket recently - he
said that a point-to-point NR ticket was only valid for LU transfer and
not to leave the station. I explained that I was allowed to leave the
station but that I wouldn't be able to get back in, but he insisted that
I needed to buy a new ticket. I asked to talk to someone from the ticket
office (which was closed), so he went and spoke to a nearby Revenue
officer and came back saying that it was "a grey area" and he'd let me
out this time but only because the ticket office was closed. Hmph.

The National Rail website clearly states that the tickets can only be
used at the stations in the list he

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...elling_connect

So technically a through National Rail ticket isn't valid at Russell
Square. Whether you get let through the barriers, other than at these
'cross-London' stations, is more a matter of luck than right.

From that website:

"You can ‘break your transfer journey' and leave the Underground at any
intermediate station, e.g. if you travelling between Victoria and Euston
you can exit at Oxford Circus. However, if you subsequently wish to
continue your journey by Underground you will have to purchase another
ticket."

--
Josie
Reverse 'liar' to e-mail me.