Old July 15th 03, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Crossrail funding approved

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:10:25 +0100 John Youles wrote:
} On 14 Jul 2003 14:15:59 -0700 in uk.transport.london,
} (nmtop40) tapped out on the keyboard:
}
} Matthew Malthouse wrote in message ...
} At least that's what the Evening Standard headline said. I only had time
} to skim the first couple of pars and the only other point I saw was that
} it was unlikely to be complete in time for a possible Olympics in 2012
} in part because enabling legislation was unlikely before next year.
}
} Matthew
}
} presumably this is the E/W line through the middle of London.
}
} But is it really really necessary?
}
} It's a connecting line around London we need, not more lines going
} through the middle of it.
}
} I disagree completely. A major reason why rail is not used more in
} this country is that journeys via London are a complete pain in the
} neck. For example I am travelling from Norwich to Torquay shortly
} which entails dragging luggage from Liverpool Street to Paddington.
} The ideal, which will never happen, is a megastation in the middle of
} London where all the inter-city services connect.

How about a deep tube that just connected the larger termini leaving
intermediate traffic to the existing Circle?

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/