Old August 25th 10, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Badami Roy Badami is offline

Default Oyster question, please

On 25/08/10 23:18, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:05:16
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't
stumbled across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can
provide the real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than
one person's fare per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card
Plus can be swiped up to six times in a row to admit up to six folks
at a time.

Not for simultaneous rides (because of the daily capping if nothing
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Roland is right; you can't do that. Apart from the fact that the gates
won't let you, each passenger must hold either a ticket for their
journey or a validated Oyster card. Failure to do that would leave you
open to prosecution

You can indeed share Oyster cards provided they only have Pay As You Go
on them. (You can't share Oyster cards which have period Travelcards or
other such products loaded onto them, though.) But multiple
simultaneous passengers requires multiple Oyster cards (or paper tickets).

-roy