Old August 26th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Oyster question, please

In message , at 19:48:30
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010, remarked:
I was/am trying to come up with an answer that won't leave me with 4
Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't mind as wife & I
frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular trip, I would
normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6 (all 6
zones out of necessity).

You have to look at the total cost of the various options, and how
closely you think you can manage the amount of credit on the Oystercard
on your last day of usage.

Unfortunately, most transit systems seem to impose a "tourist tax" by
way of un-used credit of one sort or another.

I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a Paris
10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid card. Plus
a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I think (I live
outside London and that card gets used maybe three times a year on
average). And Amsterdam seems to be going electronic to such an extent I
may need to get a prepaid card for there sooner rather than later.