Old August 26th 10, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster question, please

On Aug 26, 11:15*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:
Unfortunately, most transit systems seem to impose a "tourist tax"
by way of un-used credit of one sort or another.

I've got several cards for the NY subway (now expired), most of a
Paris 10-ticket carnet, and unusually nothing on a Brussels prepaid
card. Plus a "second" Oyster card with quite a bit of credit I
think (I live outside London and that card gets used maybe three
times a year on average). And Amsterdam seems to be going
electronic to such an extent I may need to get a prepaid card for
there sooner rather than later.

You should be alright with the Paris carnet tickets. I've just used 2 of
the 4 left from my last visit here - in 1999. They are plain bluish green
card, quite unlike the current issue but the mag strip is obviously enough
the same to operate the gates at Gare du Nord.

The Paris 't ticket' (green and mauve) transmogrified into the 't+
ticket' (white) in 2007 - AIUI the 'plus' it brought to the table was
the ability to make bus-bus, bus-tram and tram-tram interchanges
within 90 minutes of initial validation, which was something that was
not possible with the previous 't ticket'.

However as you say there's no expiry on the old 't tickets' - I don't
think however that they magically gained the extra abilities of the 't
+ ticket', not totally sure on that though.

Anyhow, point being it's useful they don't expire - no guarantee
they'll last forever of course, so probably best not to build up a
huge surplus.

I only keep £1.80 credit on my Oyster cards if possible, or whatever the
minimum fare to get into the tube at King's Cross is this year.

Why does it bother you so? I don't really get it. Who do you bank with?