Old August 29th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

In message , at 15:16:12 on Sat, 28 Aug
2010, Clive Page remarked:

BA238 dep 8.15am arr 7.40pm
AA156 dep 9.10am arr 8.45pm

The problem with all these conventional same-day flights is that you
lose the whole day in USA, but you also aren't forced to try to make
do with very little sleep overnight.

I'm surprised these flight times aren't a lot more common, and more
popular.

Even for the East Coast, you can't turn those planes round and arrive
back before midnight (and the further away the USA hub is, the worst it
gets).

And if you keep the plane overnight in the UK and set off back at 7am
the following morning, you won't get back until around 9am, which is
quite late to turn round and come back to UK before midnight.

So even if that did just work for Boston & NY (and UK rather than
somewhere an hour further east), you'd have a very restricted choice of
takeoff times, trying to compress too many flights together (remember,
there's around 20 a day just London-NY).

I've only managed to use them a few times, but each time I've had
virtually no jet-lag, whereas I usually suffer for several days. I put
it down to the fact that after a whole day travelling you get home,
crash straight into bed, and sleep soundly.

Jetlag affects different people in different ways. The usual problem
flying east is that because you typically set off in the afternoon, it's
tempting to stay awake into the 'evening'. Whereas you really need to
set a watch to midnight (as it will be roughly, at the destination) and
go straight to sleep.