Old July 15th 03, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Chancery Lane

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:29:39 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
}
} "Matthew Malthouse" wrote in message
} .. .
} On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:42:42 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
} } Matthew Malthouse wrote:
} } On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:01:34 +0100 Dave wrote:
} } } Matthew Malthouse writes
} } } } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} } } }
} } } } Nowhere flippin near it
} } }
} } } 177 meters from it.
} } }
} } } But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery
} } Lane rather than } Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which
} } it stands? }
} } } The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the
} } station's original } entrance - it was re-sited when
} } escalators were installed back in the } 1930s. As I'm
} } sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down }
} } and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be
} } situated quite } some distance away from the original.
} } This was done more recently at } Angel, where the new
} } entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.
} }
} } Haha! Thank you. I didn't know that the station entrance
} } wasn't the original, although I should have thought of it.
} }
} } Are you capable?
}
} What is this? Jump on Matthew week?
}
} Please, don't take such things personally. some people like jumping on
} anyone and everyone. :-)

That's fine as long as it'e between consenting adults.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/