Old January 26th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Acrosticus Acrosticus is offline

Default Are bonds the way forward?

From: "Angus Bryant"
Date: 26/01/2004 12:31 GMT Standard Time

A plan to grant Ken Livingstone the power to raise hundreds of millions of
pounds for transport projects through issuing bonds is under consideration

As long as it's only "transport projects" we're in the clear. However, knowing
the way our parliamentary democracy works, the legislation will probably allow
him to raise money for anything and everything. Now that's a worry, because
many of us remeber the "loony left" stuff he and his mates got up to with the
GLC in the 1980s (I once received a consultation document from County Hall
concerning the re-siting of a zebra crossing in Holborn which had a section
entitled "Implications for lesbians and gay men" - you'll be pleased to learn
it concluded they used pedestrian crossings in the same way as other members of
the community! - we don't want a return to that kind of nonsense).