Old July 15th 03, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Crossrail funding approved

It's a connecting line around London we need, not more lines going
through the middle of it.

I disagree completely. A major reason why rail is not used more in
this country is that journeys via London are a complete pain in the
neck. For example I am travelling from Norwich to Torquay shortly
which entails dragging luggage from Liverpool Street to Paddington.
The ideal, which will never happen, is a megastation in the middle of
London where all the inter-city services connect.

In the 19th century the railway companies made a plan to
have a huge central London station, but Parliament stepped in and
forced them to stop at the edge of the city centre and join them
all using the circel line. It would be a very different London
today if that had not happened. Would it have been better? An
interesting question!.

Michael Bell