Old September 7th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Extension Permits

On Sep 7, 3:46*pm, wrote:

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
It seems this case was overturned on appeal, though that's relatively
hard to find - http://home.vicnet.net.au/~safari/newsletters/No58.pdf
(near the bottom of the last column on the last page) says:
[...]
The court noted that passengers were not warned to check for a green
light and a beep when touching their cards onto the reader -

Seeing as its either (as I recall) a round green light or a
round red light, is there also a colour-blindness defence?
And do the readers not sometimes beep (but maybe twice?) also
on a failed read? *Hmm. Since I don't seem to remember very
clearly, perhaps I better hope there's a "hopelessly confused"
defence as well.

There's a double beep on an error which is at quite a different pitch
to a single beep on success. The double error beep actually covers a
lot of bases - failed read, not enough credit, passback attempt etc.
There's also a further multi-beep for those using concessionary 'Zip'
Oyster cards for young people.

All validators on buses do the beeping thing, though I recall being on
one bus where the beep element appeared to be broken - caused a lot of
confusion amongst boarding passengers as they weren't sure if they'd
successfully touched in or not.

Standalone Oyster validators at stations and tram stops also do the
beeping thing too.