Old September 7th 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Extension Permits

On Sep 7, 6:46*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Sep 7, 5:32*pm, Ivor The Engine wrote:

So how would this situation be treated:
I and a colleague travelled from Euston to Richmond. * I have PAYG, he
has a Z1-2 season.

Outward journey from Euston on Overground, via Willesden Jn. *Touched
in at Euston, £1.30 PAYG for colleage indicated on exiting Richmond
station.

On the return journey, just missed Overground so caught the first
Waterloo train, changing at Vauxhall. *Colleague charged £1.50 on
exit. *As we didn't decided to use NR until the last minute, should my
colleague have tried to set an OEP for the return? [...]

No - OEPs are *only* for those starting journeys within the zones
covered by their Travelcard and heading out of them to elsewhere in
PAYG-land (which is the London zones plus Watford Jn and four stations
on c2c).

Your colleague was in full compliance with the rules. (The difference
in fares reflect the fact that a z3&4 journey on NR is charged at a
different rate to a z3&4 journey on TfL services, i.e. LU/LO/DLR.)

[...] Should the
barriers at Vauxhall NR have alerted someone to the absence of an OEP
and not have allowed him to leave?

No - see above.

If you'd decided to travel on NR *from* Waterloo to Richmond, then to
ensure they comply with the rules they should set an OEP before
departing from Waterloo (it could be set before starting the Tube
journey at Euston or wherever, or at Waterloo - worth noting that SWT
ticket machines don't provide for Oyster at all so at Waterloo it
could only be done at the Tube station). The logic is that they should
set an OEP before they leave the zones covered by their Travelcard,
i.e. before they leave zones 1&2.

However, even if they hadn't set an OEP then the gates at Richmond
would have deducted the correct extension fare for travel in z3&4 (so
long as they touched-in properly when passing through the NR gates at
Waterloo to access the platforms) - the gates do *not* complain about
the lack of an OEP whatsoever, they don't flag it up in any way to
gate staff, nada - as I said *above, OEPs aren't something that anyone
seems to pay much attention to, let alone actually try to enforce.

Argh - substitute Vauxhall for Waterloo and everything I've written
above is still valid.