Old July 15th 03, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Crossrail funding approved

In article , Dave
wrote:
Michael Bell writes
Rather than very expensively create NEW, it might be much
better value to make best use of what ALREADY IS. Things like create
interchange at the dozens of places in London where lines cross
without any interchange at all or stations just too far apart to be
really "the same place" the remnant of the railway politics of the
19th century. Places like :-

* The crossing of the North London line with the Northern
line. A pair of underground stations to be dug out. Simple
but expensive!

[...]
It all looks possible, and VERY worthwhile.

And where is the extra capacity to shift all those extra passengers
going to be found?

With an improvement like this, I should think that most of the
increase in traffic will be outside the peak, because :-

* People make the work journey they have to make, no matter
how inconvenient.

* If they can make their work journey shorter by using one
of the links I propose, then they will cut out rail miles.

* Mostly the current layout does not hinder journeys into
and out of the city centre, this reform will make it easier to move
jobs out of the city centre.

BUT :-

* Out of peak hours people's journeys are mostly not into
and out of the city centre, they are cross-suburban, and the links I
propose will these journeys very much more convenient.

Michael Bell