Old September 9th 10, 10:01 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506[_2_] 1506[_2_] is offline

Default CROXLEY RAIL LINK decision due this year

On Sep 9, 2:17*pm, "Zen83237" wrote:
"1506" wrote in message

On Sep 9, 5:55 am, Stephen Furley *wrote:

Croxley Rail Link decision due this year

eWatford Observer Thursday 9th September 2010

A decision on the Croxley Rail Link project will be made at the end of
this year, a government minister has revealed.
Watford MP Richard Harrington and Mayor Dorothy Thornhill visited the
Department of Transport (DfT) today (Thursday), where they met with
Transport Minister Norman Baker MP to discuss the extension of the
Metropolitan Line from Croxley Green to Watford Junction.
Together they argued that the scheme not only offered excellent value
for money at a time of financial restraint but was also integral to
the development of the proposed Watford Health Campus.
They also pointed out the benefits to the residents further afield in
north west London.
Most government departments have been asked to draw up plans to make
savings of up to 25 per cent.
This led to the DfT putting all spending plans on hold before
reassessing them and in particular, their carbon footprint.
It is hoped this criteria will, therefore, favour smaller schemes such
as the rail link.
During their meeting, Mr Baker said the final decision on the project
would be made at the end of the year.
Mr Harrington said: “It was important for us to go and see the
Minister and push the benefits of the scheme for Watford and the
surrounding area. I and nearly everyone I’ve spoken to really wants
this project to go full steam ahead.
“It’s my and Dorothy’s duty shout loudly for Watford but I think it
really makes a difference to a minister when a mayor and MP come and
state their case. The Minister certainly knows how passionately we
care about the project.
“I realise that it is a difficult job for the Minister to make savings
to the transport budget. However, I think his response to our
arguments was very positive.”
Mayor Thornhill added: “We had a very good meeting and I think we did
a good job in pressing home Watford’s case.
“The Minister had clearly done his homework and was interested in our
plans for Watford.
“The Minister will be making his mind up on a whole host of transport
projects by the end of the year so it will be good to get a decision
one way or another.”
………………………………..............................
………………………………..............................
John Burke
WRUG

*I predict that the decision will be that they will put off making a
*decision.

That would be par for the course. *IMHO this development is entirely
worthwhile and should have proceeded way back.

How long did they spend talking about this. If they had spent a bit more
time doing and I little bit less time talking it would have been built by
now. So the likes of Dorothy Thornhill only has herself to blame.

Broadly speaking: I agree. However, there is the small matter of
funding. That is especially difficult just now. It is unfortunate
that this nettle was not firmly grasped during the recent more
prosperous years.