Old July 15th 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Crossrail funding approved

On 14 Jul 2003 14:15:59 -0700, (nmtop40) wrote:

[crossrail]

presumably this is the E/W line through the middle of London.
But is it really really necessary?

Yes I think it is necessary because the areas it will serve are already
on lines at maximum capacity with a forecast for more usage growth.
Unless you propose to move development (and existing businesses) out of
central london permanently then people need to be able to travel there
in large and increasing numbers.

We are still debating the value of 1 line when Paris has 5 and Berlin
has completely renovated its own version - the S Bahn. Try using the
Paris RER in the rush hour and then try to imagine how a bad a state the
Metro would be in if it was trying to carry even 50% of the RER
passengers. It would not work and London will not work unless we adopt
the same "can do and must do" philosophy that the French seem to have
towards public transport investment.

On top of Crossrail you need to have a strategy for each main line out
of London that will expand capacity as well as improving interchange to
other lines that intersect with them. We fleetingly had the prospect of
the line upgrade option until the SRA decided it had no money, didn't
want 20 year franchises and somehow thought squeezing more and more out
of the current capacity is a viable long term option.

It's a connecting line around London we need, not more lines going
through the middle of it.

I agree with the orbital line idea in addition to Crossrail and I think
it could be done relatively cheaply if people employed some imagination
as to the execution of the concept.
--
Paul C