Old September 12th 10, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Tube Trains Sent On Collision Course

In message ,
writes

Tripcocks are present at all home signals on LUL lines.

You meant to say:

Tripcocks are present at all stop signals on LUL lines.

Didn't you?

Yes. I wondered whether I'd got it wrong when I wrote it. I meant to
exclude distant signals.

We don't have a concept of distant signals on LUL, only stop signals and
repeaters where sighting is restricted.

There are of course station starters (as far as I know at every station
but I'm sure someone will come along and tell me otherwise) and approach
signals to stations (known as outer, intermediate and inner home
signals). Long sections between stations are also split up into
sections with running signals (usually automatic). The key point is
that they are all stop signals (ie can show a red aspect) and as such
have an associated train stop. A repeater only being able to show a
green or yellow aspect does not have a train stop.

I think the point that has been made in this discussion (I've avoided
comments due to where I work) is that the train in question was routed
where it shouldn't have been but with normal signals exiting the sidings
and as such the driver would then have no signals to observe (and thus
no associated train stop to trip the train). I can't disagree with the
observation that the driver's route knowledge should have told them that
something was not right and I believe from the initial RAIB report this
is what happened and the driver realised and stopped the train.

I look forward to seeing the full report if the RAIB to find out what
lessons can be learned for future safety.