Old September 12th 10, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube Trains Sent On Collision Course

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message ,
writes

Tripcocks are present at all home signals on LUL lines.

You meant to say:

Tripcocks are present at all stop signals on LUL lines.

Didn't you?

Yes. I wondered whether I'd got it wrong when I wrote it. I meant to
exclude distant signals.

We don't have a concept of distant signals on LUL, only stop
signals and repeaters where sighting is restricted.

There are of course station starters (as far as I know at every
station but I'm sure someone will come along and tell me otherwise)
and approach signals to stations (known as outer, intermediate and
inner home signals). Long sections between stations are also split
up into sections with running signals (usually automatic). The key
point is that they are all stop signals (ie can show a red aspect)
and as such have an associated train stop. A repeater only being
able to show a green or yellow aspect does not have a train stop.

I think the point that has been made in this discussion (I've
avoided comments due to where I work) is that the train in question
was routed where it shouldn't have been but with normal signals
exiting the sidings and as such the driver would then have no
signals to observe (and thus no associated train stop to trip the
train). I can't disagree with the observation that the driver's
route knowledge should have told them that something was not right
and I believe from the initial RAIB report this is what happened
and the driver realised and stopped the train.

I look forward to seeing the full report if the RAIB to find out
what lessons can be learned for future safety.

Thanks for correcting my terminology, Steve. I was exactly meaning to
exclude repeaters which don't have train stops. Does that include fog
repeaters, BTW?

What seems to be rare on LU is three aspect signals. There used to be one
at the entrance to the Southbound platform at East Putney but that might
be BR practice.

--
Colin Rosenstiel