Old January 27th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jason Jason is offline

Default oyster and automatic travelcards

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:00:25 +0000, "Jill" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 03:02:42 +0000, Jason
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:55:47 -0000, "spammy" wrote:
for oysters, has the "if you spend more than the price of a travelcard in
prepay singles then youll get charged for a travelcard" system kicked in
yet?

No - later in the year, and rumoured to be possibly around March.
Currently it is possible to spend in excess of the equivalent One Day
Travelcard. (My wife keeps doing this much to my annoyance!)

But you can't blame this on Oyster - surely it's the equivalent of
buying single tickets in the old days and then finding by the end of
the day your journey meant you could have saved if you'd bought a
travelcard.

Couldn't agree with you more - what gave you the idea I was blaming
Oyster?

I've always had to ask myself each time I use the tube - what am I
doing today? Do I need a one day travelcard or is a straight single
each way going to be enough? If there's a strong possibility I'll be
doing more than a straight return, or using bus and tube, I buy a
travelcard. I only use my pre-pay Oyster on the days when I wouldn't
have needed a travelcard.

I too go through the same thought process when I don't have a season
ticket. If we could just convince my wife to do this, I'd be happier
and slightly richer. :-)

Cheers,

Jason.