Old September 14th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,cam.transport,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Late night transport from London [was: Last train KGX-CBG]

On 14/09/2010 07:59, Paul wrote:
On 13 Sep, 21:20, Paul wrote:

In short the N213 ran between Kingston and Croydon via Sutton. Both
centres provide good levels of night bus patronage - Kingston
especially. I think it was as a result of the normal retendering cycle
that the Croydon to Sutton section of the N213 was removed as part of
the retendering of the 213. The result was that the 213 (Kingston -
Sutton) became a 24 hour service. When the route was withdrawn it left
something of a hole in the South London night bus network

The N213 replaced a radial route when it was first extended from Sutton
to Croydon. From zone 1 the radial bus used to take about 3 weeks (IIRC,
it was one of those "try it once then not bother again except in
desperation" things), and getting a fast train to East Croydon then the
"new" N213 made more sense, or at least felt like it did. Now there is
nowt.

and there was
quite a vigorous campaign to get it reinstated. The main proponents
were the younger users of the route and there was a Facebook page and
all the "new media" bells and whistles that you'd expect from bright
young people who can work Facebook and mobile phones.

And all the success you would expect from such a campaign, too...

Actually, I have a suspicion that a local MP may have had a greater role
in the campaign than was immediately apparent. But maybe I'm just too
cynical.

To be honest I can't recall quite why Mr Figgis is quite so incensed
about this route withdrawal

Merely the obvious "long walk" or "a taxi costs /how/ much?" factor
since its demise (plus people now seem to expect me to mention it!)

I guess you know you've been in London too long when you start
complaining about the buses...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK