Old September 16th 10, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default BorisBus prototype pictures - BBC News

On 16 Sep, 13:57, Mizter T wrote:
On Sep 16, 12:30*pm, wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 04:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:

began in earnest. Though like much of Boris's manifesto it also seemed
to be born of vague ideas scribbled on wine stained napkins conceived
during blahdy good lunches what ho.

Wouldn't surprise me. I never understood why Boris seemed to think that
anyone outside a few militant foaming at the mouth cyclists was actually
bothered about bendy buses in the first place. [...]

Sorry but I've got to nip that nonsense in the bud straight away -
there has never been a consensus view amongst cyclists at large (or
indeed even 'militant cyclists', woteva they are) that bendy buses are
a bad thing. Some cyclists dislike them, some don't. Just because
Boris is a cyclist and somehow got it into his head that bendy buses
were firebreathing dragons which were slaying cyclists left right and
centre (a concept totally unsupported by the fact, by the way) - that
doesn't mean anything about the opinions of cyclists at large.

I cycle very regularly on roads with bendy buses and don't have any
particular problem with them at all - from a cyclist's POV I don't
really understand the issue that some have with them - like any large
vehicle, I treat them with the appropriate caution - but as ever it's
HGVs that one really has to be wary of. My feeling is that more novice
cyclists are likely to be wary of bendy buses, though I can't help but
feel that some of this wariness is courtesy of Boris' earlier
blatherings about their safety (which seem to have stopped now - I
imagine because the message finally got through that the data simply
doesn't support it).

[...] Or buses in general. So long
as there are enough of the things and they work , who cares? If anything
I suspect most bus users much prefered just hopping onto a nice spacious
bendy bus rather than squeezing through the front door of a double decker
and up some stairs that no sane granny would ever want to climb.

Well, we're back onto familiar ground as to the pro and anti bendy
arguments here!

Basically, there seems to be an assumption that bendyness and not
having to go past the driver are exactly the same thing.

I've never understood this.