Old September 18th 10, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Badami Roy Badami is offline

Default BorisBus prototype pictures - BBC News

On 16/09/10 20:37, Neil Williams wrote:

What *is* bad is the provincial single-doored bus. As ever with the
bus industry, paranoia about a small amount of lost revenue overtakes
the benefits to the timetable, PVR and passenger comfort/convenience.
At times the industry really is far too conservative for its own good.

I'd always understood this was more a health and safety concern than a
revenue protection concern -- the driver doesn't have a good view of the
rear doors so I think the concern is that of the bus departing with
someone trapped by the closing doors.

Clearly it's not insurmountable though. e.g. they run double deckers
with two doors on the Park and Ride in Cambridge -- the rear doors have
hustle alarms somewhat like on a train to warn passengers they are
closing...

I'm wondering now - do London buses have hustle alarms? I don't recall
hearing them, but since pretty much all London buses are driver only
operated, the same issues must arise in London as elsewhere...

-roy