Old September 19th 10, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default BorisBus prototype pictures - BBC News

On Sep 18, 11:39*pm, Neil Williams
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:20:09 +0100, Roy Badami
wrote:

I'd always understood this was more a health and safety concern than a
revenue protection concern -- the driver doesn't have a good view of the
rear doors so I think the concern is that of the bus departing with
someone trapped by the closing doors.

Supposedly so. *But London buses have door-brake interlock on the rear
doors, and you can see them well enough through the mirrors, both
interior and exterior.

I'm not entirely sure there is a direct door-brake interlock - or is
there?

*That could be improved by having some form of
CCTV on a modern bus.

There is CCTV on most of not all buses in London - this can be used to
monitor the rear door I think (on bendy buses it is used to monitor
both the rear doors).

Clearly it's not insurmountable though. *e.g. they run double deckers
with two doors on the Park and Ride in Cambridge -- the rear doors have
hustle alarms somewhat like on a train to warn passengers they are
closing...

I'm wondering now - do London buses have hustle alarms?

Most of them do, I think, certainly recent ones.

All of them now I think - it's not something I even notice any more,
so I can't be more certain. Thankfully the stupid and ultra-annoying
"doors closing - please stand well clear of the doors" announcement
that featured on some new buses that were introduced a few years back
in place of a hustle alarm doesn't appear to have found favour on more
recent introductions (and bloody rightly so!).