Old September 22nd 10, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry Steve Terry is offline

Default I'm in the tunnel

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
On 22/09/10 11:55, Recliner wrote:

I don't think it was ever more than a plan. And I think originally it
was only going to work in stations, not the tunnels between them.

I'm almost certain there were at least plans to have it work in the
tunnels, because I remember the discussion of leaky feeders at the time.

Basically, you run a piece of coax along the tunnel (that's the feeder),
and at intervals the shielding is removed from a short length of coax,
which causes the feeder to leak RF (i.e. act as an antenna).
-roy

About ten years ago Orange put leaky feeder in the tunnels
on the West coast line out of Euston at least as far as Northampton

Steve Terry
--
"I would like to plead for my right to investigate natural phenomena
without having guns pointed at me.